There are over 50,000 Carers across the West Glamorgan region, many of whom provide care which prevents the need for health and social care interventions.
As a Partnership, we have identified ‘supporting the needs of Carers’ as one of our key priorities. This area of work is delivered through the West Glamorgan Carers Partnership Board, which includes representation from Carers, Swansea Council, Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council, Swansea Bay University Health Board, Swansea Carers Centre, Neath Port Talbot Carers Service, West Glamorgan Regional Partnership and the Councils for Voluntary Service in Neath Port Talbot and Swansea.
A key deliverable for the Board has been the development of a five-year Carers Strategy. This was launched in 2021 and recognises Carers as a critical third pillar of the health and social care system. A downloadable copy of the Strategy can be found below, along with a ‘Quick Reference Guide’:
- West Glamorgan Regional Carers Strategy.docx
- West Glamorgan Regional Carers Strategy – Quick Reference Guide
- West Glamorgan Regional Carers Strategy – Easy Read
Unpaid Carers are identified, recognised and supported to care. They have a life alongside caring, and have a feeling of well-being throughout their caring journey.
- Carers are treated with kindness, dignity and respect.
- Working with Carers will be built on a foundation of honesty and integrity to foster trusting relationships.
- Carers are empowered to speak up for themselves and the person they care for if/when needed.
- Carers are respected as experts by experience and specialists in the well-being of the person they care for.
- Carers are equal partners in discussions about their needs.
- Carers are supported to achieve equity to enable them to make informed decisions and enhance their well-being.
- Carers’ rights are upheld by making consistent, reliable, fair and just decisions.
- Carers and organisations/services learn together through experience, empathy and partnership.
Carers Liaison Forum
A Carers Liaison Forum was established to bring Carers and people who work with Carers together to support the work of the Partnership.
The Forum’s Vision:
To create a Forum where Carers can create a collective voice, be heard and help make positive change to health and care services in the West Glamorgan Regional Partnership.
Specifically, the Forum aims for:
- Carers to be recognised as the critical third support of the health and social care system.
- To be recognised as experts by experience.
- To be representative of all types of Carers.
- To connect people and networks to one another.
- To be an influential and valued voice in the West Glamorgan Regional Partnership, and be a critical friend.
- To be a safe space where issues can be discussed and solutions found.
- To inspire change for the benefit of all carers.
- To be able to ask big questions and help find the answers.
- To support more Carers to participate and take on Representative Roles.
How to get involved…
We have Carer Representative roles and opportunities for people to co-produce and co-design services that deliver against the ambitions outlined in our Strategy.
If you’d like to get involved, please get in touch by emailing email@example.com